Examination Syllabus, Terms & Guidelines
Chura Liya Hain
Kyunki Tum Hi ho
Chaudhvin Ka Chand
Chehra Hain ya Chand Khila
Speak Softly Love
Note - It's mandatory to have Level # 3 certificate to apply for Level # 4 or above exam
It’s a great pleasure to introduce you to the holistic syllabus of Guitarmonk Guitar Exam Levels. Guitarmonk, India’s largest chain of guitar schools has pioneered the unique syllabus which enables guitarist from any level as beginner, intermediate or advanced, to perform on their abilities and showcase their skills based on their aptitude and preference.
Guitarmonk Guitar Exams offers opportunity for a candidate to express rich and diversified musical identities and covering wider dimensions of Guitar performance including both western and eastern musical expressions and skills areas.
It is important to mention that apart from western plectrum skills, Guitarmonk Guitar Exam Levels also includes Indian Guitar Music and genres which majorly comprise of
- Ragas, which is not only the oldest music heritage of the world but also the most complex & unique style / skill of performance due to its distinctive rhythm cycles & perception / application of techniques. This talent has been totally ignored by the foreign marking system as they are totally unaware about same.
- Film Music, which is the most popular generic style of today and have shaken the world with its creative melodies and musical expression/skills, professionally played by millions of guitar players.
☞ Absence of rating standards in above two genres has led to neglect and injustice to millions of guitar players and their careers in India because they don’t play only western pieces.
☞ Various International Guitar bodies, due to absence of knowledge about these genres, and because India being an Asian country and having gained freedom very lately, led to terrible neglect of these techniques in their grading systems. This eventually cost a huge set-back to Indian Guitarist to gain its appropriate righteous place among guitar community internationally. It was also a loss of unique guitar dimension and skills to global guitar fraternity in absence of these plectrum styles/techniques/performances.
☞ While keeping the fact that Plectrum Guitar Playing is an unmatched, unbeatable talent of an Indian Guitarist due to nature and techniques of Indian music, which is both extraordinary and adaptive to plectrum playing considering rhythm styles, syncopated rhythm styles, unique scales and raga movement etc.
☞ Guitarmonk level exams have also added that credibility and performance ability to the examination system, with its outstanding syllabus focusing the plectrum Guitar. It further creates a new milestone, richness of performance and skills ability to re-establish the guitarist scope.
☞ We wish you would discover a new and highly enriched musical journey through these exams, unlocking your guitar playing potential and achieving a much wider success and greater music building.
The main philosophy behind the Guitarmonk examination system is to create an improvised structure for learning, progress & quality performance of Guitar player. Guitarmonk acknowledges that there are various dimensions to musical assessment and ability of a candidate. As such it has inculcated lots of freedom into its examination system.
- Wide choice of repertoire from western to eastern genres / moods
- Wide range of generic skills emphasizing unique musical expression
- Allowing candidates to play on their strengths with choices within the genres
- The freedom to express their musical capabilities and choose their music personality by including ‘original compositions’ and scope of improvisation.
Guitarmonk imbibes both practical and theory systems of examining the performance of candidate
- Theory Assessment
- Performance Assessment
☞ Guitarmonk has widened the scope of analysis via online mode of submission and has overcome limitation of time. Now students can spend longer time on practical submission as they have no time length limitation as they are giving exams at comfort of their homes.
☞ Guitarmonk mentors includes team of trainers who are highly experienced trainers and well recognized.
☞ Candidate can apply for any level exam based on their preparation.
☞ There is no qualification required to apply for the particular exam level as also described in terms and guidelines. Guitarmonk accepts entries for the examination on the condition that all participating candidates accepts and confirms to the requirements of mentioned official syllabus.
☞ Guitarmonk syllabus is designed covering the universally accepted standards and criterion for the Guitar instrument ranging from the basic to the advanced level and also exploring a much wider expanded music personality than ever before.
☞ Guitarmonk syllabus also overcomes the skills and generic limitation by individual universities and as such it’s one of the most modern, comprehensive and scientific curricula to administer the progress of a guitar player.
☞ There are 8 Examination Levels as
|Prelude||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
|Level 4||Level 5||Level 6||Level 7|
☞ There are two Exams for each level
 Practical - Performance
- Group A | Western
- Group B | Indian Film Music
- Group C | Ragas (From Level 4 onwards)
Technical Development – Scales, Chords, Techniques and Rhythms
- Scales, Chords, Terminologies, Reading Music, Notation Methods, General Music Awareness
Note: Sheet Music which is marked as free in the specified level exam will be provided as free while sheet music which is marked as paid will have to be purchased while applying for corresponding level exam. Please note that it’s mandatory to only avail the referred sheet music by abysmbooks.com. As the notation/complexity level is duly considered in that sheet for exam level. The other sheets of the same melody may not be suitable for exam.
[H] MARKING PARAMETER
Note – Candidates securing more than 70 marks will be considered as passed. Candidate need to secure passing marks in both theory and practical exam. Candidate securing passing marks in only exam (either practical or theory exam) will be considered Not-Passed even if his/her total is more than 70 marks.
[I] CERTIFICATE RATING
Examination Terms and Guidelines
- These guidelines supersedes all previous guidelines relating to the conducting of Guitarmonk Guitar Exams, applicable to Plectrum Style – Acoustic Guitar
- Guitarmonk reserves the right to revise the content of Information & Regulations from time to time.
- Please always refer to our website guitarmonk.com for the latest versions of the information. Please also refer to related regulations, guidelines, syllabus (if any) to the pertaining exam. If you don’t accept any terms and guideline, please don’t apply for exam.
- Please note that it’s mandatory to only avail the referred sheet music by abysmbooks.com. As the notation/complexity level is duly considered in that sheet for exam level. The other sheets of the same melody may not be suitable for exam.
- Guitarmonk accepts applications for its exams on the condition that candidate accepts the requirements of the mentioned current syllabus and agrees to obey the terms and guidelines.
- Guitarmonk Guitar Exams can be availed by anybody irrespective of gender, age, geographical location etc. Exam entries may be submitted by a teacher, parent or guardian if candidate is less than 18 years. Correspondence will be conducted with the guardian in that case.
- There is no musical qualification required to apply for Guitarmonk’s Plectrum Guitar Grade Exam
- Candidates can only apply for one level at a time (out of 8 levels).
- Based on syllabus for the exam, candidates should work on the technical demands of each level they are applying for. Candidates cannot directly apply for Level 4 to 7 without clearing Level # 3.
- The registration for a particular exam level is non-transferable, non-adjustable, and non-refundable. Applicant once applied for the said exam schedule cannot be deferred to a later exam session/schedule.
- Guitarmonk reserves the right to refuse or cancel the entry of any candidate and in that case the submitted fee will be refunded. Please note registration fee is only refundable at cancellation done by guitarmonk.
- By entering for a Guitarmonk exam, candidates agree that they will abide by Guitarmonk’s regulations, syllabus requirements and the professional judgments of its examiners.
☞ APPLICATION FOR EXAM
- Applicants can apply for exam only through online mode at www.guitarmonk.com. Candidate must fill the details correctly and submit it with mentioned exam fee to apply for the pertaining level exam.
☞ HOW TO PAY EXAM FEE?
- You can either pay online (using credit card, debit card, net banking) or you can also directly transfer the fee at the below mentioned Bank Account viz. Kotak Mahindra Bank | Account Name: Guitarmonk | Current A/C No. 634011026408 | Branch: Shakarpur, Delhi | IFSC Code: KKBK0005292
- If you are transferring it via NEFT, then you need to add the above account as a beneficiary/payee and share the transaction id screenshot with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are depositing it via cash/cheque (in favor of Guitarmonk), then share the deposit slip/cheque number respectively at email@example.com after you deposit the correct fee.
- Your registration is confirmed after receiving of examination fee. Guitarmonk will send you an acknowledgement email within 24-72 hours of receiving your fee. Candidate will also receive Unique Registration number within 7 days of confirmation of registration.
☞ EXAM PROCESS
- Guitarmonk Examination is conducted only through online mode, via two exams viz. 1) Practical and 2) Theory, to be submitted by the candidate as online.
☞ TIMELINE FOR ASSIGNMENT SUBMISSION
- 45 days is the maximum time allowed; from the date of your registration; to submit both practical and theory test by the candidate. Submission after 45 days will not be considered and the candidate will be marked disqualified.
☞ RE-SUBMISSION OF EXAM ANSWERS IS NOT ALLOWED
- 2nd submission of answers is not allowed once candidate has already submitted the test. Candidate must make check their answers for the first time (be it half submission or full submission) as their first submission will be considered as their final submission. For 2nd submission, candidate will have to re-register for the exam as a new /fresh applicant.
☞ DOCUMENTS REQUIREMENT
- Guitarmonk is required to collect any Government approved Address proof (for ex: Driving License/Voter Id/Adhaar Card/Passport etc.), current organization ID (be it school, college, company or business id) & 1 recent photograph to verify the candidate's identity. Absence to submit the ID will result in non-acceptance of the application and delay.
☞ TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF PRACTICAL EXAM SUBMISSION
- Practical test sheet-music will be facilitated by guitarmonk from its respective publishers so student can perform the exact piece.
- Candidate must submit the musical pieces only with metronome or background tempo via rhythms/tracks. Adequate accompaniment is necessary to check the accuracy of performance.
- Candidate must submit the practical exam via video shoot of its performance piece in raw format i.e. without any editing and without any retake. It is mandatory to show the clear face of the candidate, who is playing in the video clip.
- The candidate is disqualified if the above parameters are not maintained.
- Theory Exams will be online and will have to answered by candidate on real-time basis.
☞ RESULTS, REPORTS & CERTIFICATE
- Guitarmonk will email certificate of exam within 45 days from the date of examination submission by the student.